Monday, March 25, 2013

the journal

I'm spending at least 60% of my time with my little jewelry business. Which is a lot more than it's been since the economy crashed. Nearly all of my daily blogging is happening on facebook these days. It's a good thing. You can view my StoneSavvyJewelry facebook page by clicking on the facebook ad in the upper right-hand corner and you can step into my Etsy shop by clicking on any of the jewelry pictures that are scrolling on the right-hand column.

Yet, it makes me sad that I'm ignoring this fun little blog. 

Dick and I are now on Volume 26 of our hand-written journals. We take turns writing, so the point of view is from both of us. My Dad's legacy to me was scanned images of nearly all of his photography, which includes so many amazing glimpses into my Mom and Dad's life. My legacy to my children is these journals.

My blog is going to be a place to share random entries. I covered my eyes and picked a journal out of the stack. I opened it without purpose and here is that entry.


March 15, 2007
Thursday, Day 1,908
Tucson AZ to Hurley NM

Happy Ides of March to all you Julius Caesar groupies and celebrators of betrayal. This is your day. It's also our day to leave the Sonoran desert and drive east, deep into New Mexico. We're hoping to find slightly cooler temperatures and new adventures. So far in our RV travels we've never experienced New Mexico, only driving straight through it on our way east or west. Now we're planning to give it 2 or 3 weeks. From our previous New Mexico trips on I-10 and I-40, Donna's thinking it won't be very cool, but their license plates do say it's the Land of Enchantment. We set out to find it, saying goodbye to Saguaro National Park and the Sonoran desert as we drive east on I-10. See you big cacti next winter.


 
Saguaro National Park - the west section
Gilbert Ray Campground - one of our favorites
At Deming, near the continental divide, we drive north 30 miles to the City of Rocks State Park. The rocks are cabin-size blocks of volcanic tuff jutting out of the broad grasslands. The campsites are spread out and nicely tucked into the rock formations. The joint is pretty full, but we end up with campsite 15, which has a really cool patio among the tall rocks. Donna sets up a very nice yard for us and we then sip cocktails as we watch an exceptional sunset and groove on our new space. The New Mexico adventure is off to a good start.
indeed the Land of Enchantment
the campground sign is carved on a slab of marble - my kind of enchantment
I could have smiled... but I think I was talking
what a welcome to New Mexico for sunset lover's like us
OK that was a treat to re-live. And now I'm back to the shipping department. Happy Monday to you guys :)

No comments:

Post a Comment